Last week, the online publication SEOnews and the online advertising service eLama launched a video course “YAN from A to Z”… In 9 video tutorials, we will teach you how to set up effective campaigns in the Yandex Advertising Network.
In the first lesson, we told how advertising in YAN differs from advertising on Search and what types of ads are in YAN. Today the leading paid traffic specialist eLama Nikita Kravchenko will explain how to create a convenient structure for an advertising office.
Hierarchy of an advertising account in Yandex.Direct
The structure of an advertising account can be depicted as follows:
At the top level – advertising account Yandex.Direct, in which we launch various advertising campaigns, including campaigns for YAN.
Next come themselves campaigns: Campaign 1, Campaign 2, Campaign 2, etc. To make it convenient to work, it is important to correctly distribute products, advertising objects, promotional advertising campaigns in separate campaigns.
Each ad campaign contains ad groups, and within each ad group – some kind of combined set of targeting (for example, keywords, hyperlocal targeting, short-term interests, etc.).
It is important to remember that different targeting within the same group does not specify audience targeting, but expands. Therefore, it is better to add only one type of targeting in each group.
In addition, in addition to targeting, each ad group may contain a certain ad set… It is recommended for YAN to make many different advertisements in each group – you can target about 10 advertisements for each group.
Example… We have a certain group, and in it – a certain targeting, for example, several key phrases. Through these key phrases, we target a specific segment of the audience. When you create one ad, you target specific users. If the user is not interested in your ad, you have lost him.
When you create, for example, 10 different advertisements in the same group with different images, different titles, triggers, promotions, special offers, then there is a chance that the user will not be interested in one ad, but click on the second one and make a conversion.
It turns out the following structure: in the first group we target one audience segment through one targeting, in the second group – on another audience segment through other targetings, etc. In addition, different advertising objects can be added to different groups.
The most important thing is not to interfere with everything in a heap, both within the group and within the framework of the advertising campaign.
Why structure is needed
- A properly built, understandable structure simplifies the analysis, management and optimization of advertising campaigns. When you enter an advertising account, it will be immediately clear where and what you are advertising, where and how much you pay, how the advertising campaign is working out, whether the budget is being spent effectively.
- The right structure can help improve the effectiveness of your campaign. When everything is on the heap, the algorithm cannot optimize campaigns properly.
- The correct structure allows the use of automatic strategies. If the structure is done correctly, then within one advertising campaign there will be a set of advertising objects to which you can assign the same goal or the same set of goals for optimization. Yandex will be able to automatically optimize ads so that you get the result you expect.
How to break down ad campaigns and groups
- YAN campaign needs always run separately from Search and other types of campaigns (for example, from retargeting).
Then you can structure it as you like. For example:
- by demand funnel… We launch separately an advertising campaign with commercial phrases, separately – with informational or near-themed ones;
- by warmth… Campaigns can be run on hot, warm and cold phrases;
- by products… Separate products / services and categories / directions can also be “thrown” into different advertising campaigns;
- by subject (brand campaigns, by competitors);
- seasonal (promotions, special offers);
- it also makes sense to create separate ad campaigns under experiments…
These are examples of how you can build a structure. The most important principle is not to interfere with everything.
Now there is a trend towards the consolidation of advertising campaigns. If you can within one advertising campaign for all advertising objects set the same goal or the same set of goals for optimization, enlarge. You can make it so that within the same campaign you will promote different services, but if, as a result, you need to optimize for sending a completed application form, which is one for all these services, you can scatter these services into different groups.
The more data there will be in the advertising campaign, the more traffic, conversions, the better the automatic optimization algorithm or auto strategy will work.
Take a piece of paper and a pen and sketch out the structure that is as reasonable and comfortable for you as possible. Write down in which advertising campaigns what goals you will use and collect advertising campaigns for this scenario.
How to name campaigns
Campaigns can be called whatever you want, but it should be clear to you what kind of campaign it is when you go to Direct, Commander, or work with statistics in web analytics systems.
For example, you can choose the following structure: write an advertising object, campaign type and geo. You can add warmth or whatever breakdown you choose.
How to name groups
Groups must also be named within the ad campaign. We can recommend the following structure: prescribe the type of targeting that is used in this group, a general phrase or another type of targeting, the type of ads for this group (for example, text-image ads – TGO).
Thus, it will be clear and convenient to analyze the effectiveness.
- The correct account structure directly affects the result.