How to parse the user path correctly? What should shops pay attention to in order not to lose customers during a purchase?
About this on the tenth Yandex Webmaster told Maxim Zakhir (CEO “Alpha Data”). We bring to your attention an overview of the report “The User’s Path: Through Thorns to the Stars”.
Below the video you will find a transcript of the speech.
March 2020 turned consciousness upside down. COVID-19 has changed shopping habits by driving the growth of e-commerce. At the same time, the offline market also continues to grow, but this growth is happening, including with the help of online.
The level of penetration of online technologies in traditional retail determines those who will continue to grow and those who will stagnate and leave the market.
The share of technology penetration reduces the threshold for switching between different brands, so the development of the IT component is one of the key to success. Companies looking to increase sales and operational efficiency must pay attention to the development of technology internally. One of the possibilities and understanding of how to change IT technology, in which direction to develop, how to change the retail process, is the possibility of using the CJM (Customer Journey Map) tool – building a map of customer interaction.
What is CJM for?
User path map allows you to build a process from the buyer. It gives an understanding: what to do now, where to start. Also, this tool can help to correctly prioritize, make the design process focused on making the buyer achieve the goal in an easier way.
To grow a business, you need to understand how the company actually serves the buyer, how difficult it was for him in the process of making a purchase.
The Customer Journey Map also improves business unit communication. Very often, the structure of companies looks like each department is doing its task well, but the lack of interaction between departments leads to a negative result or not what one would like to have. CJM solves this problem.
In addition, the Customer Journey Map helps increase customer return rates.
The buyer’s journey – from realizing a need to satisfying it
In a simplified way, the customer journey looks like this:
- a person is aware of the need to purchase some kind of product, for example, sneakers;
- conducts research on what to buy now and where;
- then the buyer selects and reserves the item;
- arrives at the store, receives the goods, is approved in the desire to buy;
- pays at the checkout and leaves;
- shows everyone and tells what the product was.
From the eyes of sellers, the buyer’s journey looks a little different – it is complex and non-linear. The business selects all points of contact with the company that the consumer goes through on his way, and analyzes them.
The buyer’s journey and attributes of their purchase must be carefully evaluated.
CJM is not the end point of what the company does. This is the basis for the action plan.
The action plan usually consists of two sections:
- introduction of new functionality;
- optimization of the conversion of each stage (what hinders, what needs to be changed).
It is very important to record what the company wants to do, what the desired result looks like, which IT system is responsible for a particular process, which department, which KPI for this responsible department.
Where to begin?
There are 3 major stages within CJM:
IN diagnostics includes setting a goal based on an analysis of available data. It is advisable to conduct interviews with buyers and owners and performers of business processes. This will allow you to find out why a particular process works the way it does and how you can change it.
Then the company can start visualizing the CJM, and then design together with the departments involved. design or redesign of a business process.
CJM doesn’t have a mandatory look and feel. For example, this is how the Customer Journey Map for Starbucks looks like:
- CJM is a must-have for doing business. Customer Journey Map is not a form, it is content.
- You need to understand exactly what processes are on the user’s path. It is advisable not to hope that you know everything in your company, but to walk through CJM yourself and with a real buyer, even if this is your friend.
- Do not listen to colleagues who say that this business process is like this and cannot be changed. Put the customer and his needs first.
- Try to rely on data as much as possible. CJM is not a fantasy story, it is a data-level story. The more data you build, the better.
- It is important that the changes made have a positive effect on key indicators – NPS, CSI and others. Ideally, have a KPI for each stage of the Customer Journey Map.
- The CJM should be checked periodically to make sure everything is going right.
Interesting from Webmaster 2021:
Yandex spoke about new quality signals for commercial sites and YMYL-related resources
The Yandex.Vzglyad service now has a tool for quick interface tests
Yandex.Webmaster now has a service that shows duplicate titles and descriptions
Webmaster: trends and statistics of the e-commerce market in Russia