Many marketers are convinced that pop-up is a useless feature that not only does not increase the conversion of the site, but also sometimes frightens off users altogether. This is partly true, but only those who incorrectly approach the creation of such functionality do not achieve success. With the right approach, great results can be achieved.
In today’s article, we’ll take a closer look at pop-up windows: we’ll talk about their significance and use, design, pros and cons, and at the end we’ll look at popular services for creating them.
What is a pop-up window
Pop-up window (pop-up, pop-up) is a window that appears some time after opening the site. It overlaps the page and usually occupies a small area in the shape of a square or rectangle. The main idea of such functionality is to attract a user and push him to checkout a product or subscribe to an e-mail newsletter. Simply put, all this is created for the sake of an advertising campaign in order to increase sales or the popularity of a web resource.
Here’s an example of a typical pop-up window that opens when you enter a site:
It is also worth noting that there are highly intrusive windows that cannot be closed just like that – you need to fulfill a subscription or other condition. Of course, it is better not to do such pop-ups, because they will not be effective at all.
In general, pop-up windows are used for:
- attracting subscribers;
- informing visitors;
- increase in conversion;
- display of advertising.
A common practice is to use pop-ups to increase conversions. Thanks to them, you can get a new stream of customers and increase sales. The advantages are as follows:
- To attract attention. An extremely important criterion, since a rather small part of users study the site in detail. A pop-up window in this case can easily solve the problem – users will be informed about current promotions or popular services.
- Subtleties of customization. You can make the popup appear at a specific point in time. For example, if a user stays on a product page for a long time, you can display a window that displays a purchase offer with a discounted price.
- Segmentation. If you manage an online clothing store, then the pop-up window can be configured in such a way that it offers to subscribe to the mailing of goods for women or men. Users will be able to find out only about those products that interest them.
It is extremely important to work out all the details of the pop-up window – this is the only way it will be useful. To understand this issue in more detail, let’s look at the main types of pop-ups.
It is customary to distinguish two types of pop-ups: hello-board and page-stop. Each of them has its own functionality.
Can appear anywhere on the screen, does not block the page content. Usually informs users about current promotions and invites them to leave a request.
Appears in the center of the screen and blocks the page content. To close the window, you will either need to use the cross or perform the specified action.
Hello-boards are less annoying to users than page-stops because they can be ignored. However, page-stops are considered more efficient due to the forced blocking of all content.
When to show the popup
Above, we examined the main types of pop-ups, they can also be divided into subtypes. To understand when to use the popup, I recommend that you familiarize yourself with each subtype.
Appears immediately after the site page is loaded. Quite dubious functionality for a good resource, since the user is usually uncomfortable when a pop-up window immediately appears in front of his face. However, it can be useful in cases where a technical issue needs to be reported.
This type appears when scrolling through the page of the site. When the visitor reaches the programmed place, a pop-up window immediately pops up. Most often it is used to offer to subscribe or to offer a link to relevant content.
Pops up when the user takes a certain targeted action. For example, clicks on a link or button. This type of window can be used to display a subscription or feedback form.
Pops up after a certain time after the user has visited the page. With its help, you can offer to subscribe to a newsletter or view another section of the site, attract leads, collect requests for a call back, provide demo access to the service, and so on.
The most insolent kind of pop-up that appears when the user is about to close the page. We do not recommend using it, as it can greatly affect the popularity of the resource. If the user already wants to leave the page, there is no need to stop him, he will do it anyway. Otherwise, he will leave with not the best impressions.
These were some of the most popular use cases for pop-up windows. There can be many more options: for example, after filling out the form, you can add another window in which the text of gratitude will be written. You can also add a pop-up to a specific service – when you select, a window with brief information will pop up.
Pros and cons of website pop-ups
- Pop-up windows can really attract new subscribers. Most often this works with blogs: for example, when a user finishes an article, he is invited to subscribe to a resource. If the article is really interesting and solves the problem, then most likely the visitor will subscribe to the site.
- Conversion increases. It works only if all the main elements are properly worked out: design, marketing, time and place of appearance, functionality.
- Important information is brought in. If you have any important information, then report it in the pop-up window – the likelihood that it will be noticed will greatly increase.
The following points follow from the disadvantages:
- Irritation. Pop-ups are often annoying to users, especially if they are done incorrectly. It is important to carefully analyze the target audience in order to eliminate all negative aspects.
- Reputation. If your company has long established itself, then pop-ups can only harm your reputation. Here, again, you should understand your target audience and answer the question “Why do I need a pop-up window at all?”
This functionality is quite effective, but it is important to analyze all the points and conduct numerous tests – then the benefits will be significantly high.
Rules for creating a pop-up window
Creating a popup is a tricky business. With its help, it is important to solve the set goals, as well as to make sure that the window does not annoy users. Here are some guidelines to help you design:
- Visual component. The window should be not only with a harmonious design that fits the overall concept, but also with a well-designed interface. It should be easy and understandable for the user – it is important that he quickly makes the right decision.
- Responsiveness. Like all other elements of the site, pop-up windows must be mobile-friendly.
- Relevance. It is inappropriate to show the subscription form to those who have already left their e-mail, or to offer a subscription to new articles immediately after going to the blog.
- Say obsession no. Do not reopen the window if it has been closed. Also, you do not need to regularly offer the same thing – it can quickly get bored, and the user will leave the page.
- Calls to action. It is important to work out the required actions – the user must clearly understand what they want from him. For example, you can name the button “Subscribe” or “Go to the service catalog”.
In almost all services for creating a pop-up window, you can configure the above points. We’ll talk about the services themselves below.
The best services for creating pop-up windows
Let’s consider the most popular services that are suitable for various types of pop-up windows. Their peculiarity lies in convenient functionality: you can independently, without programming knowledge, redo pop-up windows in an attempt to increase conversion: change the form, appearance script, text, etc.
OptinMonster is for email marketing. That is, with its help, you can configure the pop-up window in such a way that it invites visitors to leave their mail and subscribe to the newsletter.
Service link: Optinmonster
Russian-language service with powerful functionality to increase traffic and increase sales. The service offers a choice of many different templates with which you can inform visitors about promotions and discounts, collect email addresses and phone numbers, offer to place an order in 1 click, etc.
A click map is available for all forms.
Service link: Plerdy
Getsitecontrol is another service with widgets to increase conversions. He suggests adding pop-ups, subscription forms, polls, social media buttons to the site. The desired widget is inserted into the page with one line of code.
Service link: Getsitecontrol
MailMunch is an easy-to-use form builder that can be set up and launched on your site in just a few minutes. It’s great for creating pop-ups, tops, sidebars, and inline forms.
Service link: Mailmunch
PopMechanic is a convenient and easy-to-use Russian-language service with wide functionality. A subscription starts at $ 12, but there is a free trial (up to 1000 users, 5 templates and 1 integration).
Service link: PopMechanic
AddThis is a completely free service with the ability to create customized pop-up windows. There is compatibility with all popular CMS.
Service link: AddThis
Sumo is a service for collecting emails, as well as installing forms and widgets on the site. There are paid and free versions. The second opens access to a wide range of tools: an unlimited number of addresses, customization, targeting, analytics and much more are included.
Service link: Sumo
OptiMonk is a free tool to increase conversions and generate leads. It allows you to create, personalize and launch pop-ups, sidebars and notification bars without any programming knowledge.
Service link: OptiMonk
Leadgenic is a professional service for increasing website conversion. There is a free plan that includes 3 targeted widgets, free CRM, Google Analytics and Yandex.Metrica integration.
Service link: Leadgenic
The service offers many smart forms for collecting subscribers, 5 types of widgets, A / B tests, features to increase conversions, and much more. There is both a free version and a paid one, starting at 199 rubles per month.
Service link: JumpOut
With the correct design of pop-up windows, quite high conversion can be achieved. However, it is worth considering not only a well-designed form, but also user behavior. It is important to analyze the target audience: what it does, where it clicks, why it does it this way and not otherwise. Only then can we talk about a well-designed pop-up window.